Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, South Africa
This is every travellers dream. Trust us, you'll want to Instagram EVERYTHING.
OUR TOP 5:
- Just look at that setting. Located in the South African Timbavati, an area dubbed 'The place where something sacred came down to earth,' the views alone are enough to make your heart beat faster. So special, in fact, it's what convinced Makanyi's owner Jessica Gold to swap London city life for safari wilderness. The result? A luxurious, intimate lodge that blends seamlessly into its heavenly surroundings.
- Each of the seven thatch-roofed, open-plan suites are decked out with exotic antiques, oversized canopy beds and deep roll-top baths, as well as outdoor showers and private verandas.
- If you can tear yourself away from your room, the sunrise and sunset game drives, with highly-experienced rangers (shout out to Warren and Lux) are breathtaking. Animals are free to roam as they please as the reserve is open to the 2.4 million hectares of Kruger National Park.
- Jessica and her team really have thought of everything to make it a memorable and bespoke stay for guests. Inbetween drives, they'll help organise everything from guided treks and private picnics in the open bush to specific elephant safaris and hot air balloon rides over the savannah. But it's the little touches and attention to detail that sets this place apart, like pausing half-way on a morning drive for homemade cookies and coffee laced with Amarula, or a flower-stewn bath waiting for you on your return.
- Once back at the lodge you can relax with a sumptuous massage or take a dip in the pool listening to hippos chortling from the nearby dam. And then go for dinner at the boma (that's an outdoor enclosure with a roaring fire) under star-studded skies listening to sounds of night time Africa. On our final night, that included the roar of a male lion just steps away from our table. Absolutely incredible.
offers a four-night package including return scheduled flights from Johannesburg from £1,290 per person or £2,580 per couple.