Generally recognised as the hottest hairstyle of the summer year after year, effortless, beachy waves are loved just as much by celebrities as us.
Here's what you need to do...
What you need:
Top 5 and why:
- (£22) is best for boho tresses. If you like a messier finish with less defined waves - this is the one for you.
- (£15) is really light, meaning the hair is not held down by being too "wet". Best for fine or thin hair. Also an excellent price point.
- (£38) will give you the windblown bombshell look. Think big. Think voluminous.
- (£23) is where it all started, you won't be able to believe what this salt spray can do to the limpest hair. Expect an ultra natural, looser finish.
- (£16) is best for those who are into natural products. Chemical-free, it also smells of lavender. Bonus.
Before purchasing your pair, make sure you check out the size of the barrels on the chosen set of curling tongs. For thinner hair, small to medium is best and for thick hair, medium to large. Depending on how tight you'd like the waves, a temperature gauge is a welcome addition. The hotter you set the tong, the more statement the tousles. We love the ghd Curve series of wands and tongs. The (£120) offers more of a vintage finished look, whereas the (£120) creates softer, tumbling waves.
The key with tousled hair is to find the best hairspray that will provide the hold without the weight. You want your tousles to be able to bounce so avoid anything too sticky. We love ghd's (£3.95).
How to get beach waves:
- Wash your hair, making sure you don't use too much conditioner. To create the best waves, you want your hair to be as light as possible so it's not weighed down.
- Once you've towel dried the hair, flip your head over and generously spritz your chosen salt spray all over the ends. This will mean it's coated with texture but the roots have been avoided.
- If you want a super natural, loose look - just let your hair dry naturally. However, if you want more of a statement, voluminous look, roughly blow dry your hair, using your finger tips to create volume in the direction of the air.
- Turn on your tong until it's heated and section the hair.
- For ultimate beach babe, take sections of your hair, varying in size and wrap around the tong, holding for around 3-5 seconds.
- Once the entire hair has been done, you can keep them tight, or for boho glamour, run your fingers through them, so they blend with each other.
- Add some hairspray and you're good to go.