Treating acne is a minefield, but one person who knows more about spots than your average Joe is Dr Pimple Popper.
The Instagram-famous dermatologist, whose real name is Sandra Lee, MD, is known and loved for her enthralling/gross spot squeezing videos.
Dr Lee keeps her 2.2m Instagram followers informed of the latest spot-fighting tips, but we thought we'd round up her six best nuggets of acne treatment wisdom right here.
Spots, be gone!
2. For raised white or angry red pimples, you need to target the bacteria with topical antibiotics. She recommends using something containing benzoyl peroxide or an antibiotic like erythromycin or clindamycin. This, she says, will clear the bacteria from a pimple and help it heal quicker.
3. If you really need to itch a spot, put a small circle bandage over your finger to stop bacteria spreading.
4. Contrary to popular belief, lowering yourSPF rather than increasing it may help beat acne. Why? Because higher SPFs are super greasy and will clog pores. Dr Lee recommends SPF 15 as the ideal sun lotion.
5. Even though people think moisturiser makes greasy skin worse, even people with acne should include it in their skincare regime. Moisturisers are actually designed to decrease oil on the skin so you probably need more of the stuff. Be sure to avoid oil-based moisturisers and stick to water-based ones instead.
6. Your hair products might be triggering your acne so be sure to avoid heavy and greasy products and stick to mousses instead.